Sunday, February 1, 2015

NHHA #1 - Desert MC Hare and Hound 2015

After watching the Dakar coverage I just couldn't wait to get out there.  I almost always have butterflies the first few races and this time was no different.  My mindset when this happens is to just go out and have a nice little trail ride - keep the bike and body safe.

So I lined up in between a couple of fellas and noticed there was a bush in front of me.  I told the guy next to me he could go first, I wasn't out there to race.  But then there was one minute before the banner dropped and I saw that I could probably bump up over the bush roots and go through the bush.  I usually get a good start - so when the banner dropped I started, hesitated to see what the guy next to me was doing, his first kick didn't catch so I popped the clutch and went through the bush.  I ran up to third gear and then backed off.

I had a pretty good jump on maybe half the line.  I moved left out of the dust and onto a good line.  I got up near the end of the bomb run and pulled over to turn on my handlebar mounted bluetooth speaker and turn on my GoPro.  Like I said, I wasn't there to race - just get better and finish.

I rode along fairly slowly and very in control for several miles and even at that slow pace I started catching people.  When I see someone in front of me that I can catch I just can't help but try to run them down (catch up to them).

So I picked up the pace a little, caught a few guys, picked up the pace a little more and passed some more.  It felt like I was moving pretty good (for me) and still in control - maybe I am getting a little better.

It was a pretty uneventful race.  I kept up my pace pretty good, passed several more people and didn't crash.  My fitness still isn't where it needs to be but I have decided to make this my year.  I've set a goal to race 20 times this year.  It's going to be hard on my family because the boys can be a handful.

No comments:

Post a Comment